[Xerte] Instructional Challenge: Crash Report Screening

Peter Pretorius pete.pretorius at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 04:44:36 GMT 2010

In today's particularly enjoyable conversation thread titled "non coders",
Julian said:  "I would love to see more discussion about design content,
what makes good interactivity and all that stuff ..."

I'm personally *fascinated* by instructional strategy.  In line with
Julian's comments, I once came across a research study which documented
numerous trials and measurements of compared instruction using different
mediums.   The conclusion?  The medium (instructor led, computer-assisted,
or video instruction, etc.) didn't matter.  The medium used didn't
significantly influence the effectiveness of the instruction.  What
*did*matter, what
*did* make a difference, was the strategy.

My suggestion is that we might begin an occasional game of sorts, for those
of us with an interest in strategy (coders and non coders alike).  It would
be a game in which we would put forth, as they occur to us, different
"instructional challenges" for consideration.  We might then brainstorm or
suggest how Xerte might be used to tackle these challenges.  To keep the non
coders readily in the conversation, I'd encourage discussion contributors
to:

   1. First consider how XOT (or Page Templates) might be used to address
   the challenge, *without adding any script*.  For those skilled at coding,
   this might feel like we've tied both hands behind your back.  Then again,
   maybe that's useful.
   2. Second, let the coders cut loose.  If more could be done with a little
   script, tell us how you might start off with XOT, or Page Templates, *and
   then* enhance it with script.

To illustrate how an "Instructional Challenge" might be presented, I'll
start off.  What follows is a true, current task of mine, that I've
considered using Xerte for.  My thought is to outline it here.  I'll try to
provide enough detail to convey the complexity, while keeping my description
of it as simple as I can.

The instructional challenge is this:

*Instructional Objective*
Learners will be able to screen (i.e. review) vehicle accident (crash)
reports, and route them appropriately.

*Relevant Details*

   - The crash reports are pre-printed, 4-page forms that must be completed
   and submitted anytime a significant motor vehicle accident occurs.  Here's a
   URL link to the form:  www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21278.pdf
   - The learners are the employees who must review these crash reports and
   determine whether to ...
   - Return them to the sender
      - Route them to "Fatals"; if a death was involved
      - Send them for Data Entry
      - Discard them (e.g. if the report was not required to be filed)

*Task Criteria*

   1. Send Back (to the sender), if X, Y, or Z fields are empty
   2. Route to "Fatals"; if the number "1" is listed in a specific field; or
   if a death is mentioned in the Narrative (written description of the crash)
   3. Send to Data Entry, if all is OK
   4. Discard, if damage was less than $1,000 US, and there were no injuries
   5. The Narrative on Page 3 is a written description of the accident.  Use
   it to backfill empty fields, and to provide more detail.
   6. If Region A indicates "X", then look at Section 4, Column G.  If that
   indicates 2, 3, 4, or 7, then Discard.

*************************

So ....  How would you tackle it with XOT or Page Templates?  If you're a
coder, is/are there things you might do with a little script?

Cheers,
Pete

Instructional Designer
Boston, MA, USA

P.S.  I'm an American, so I really have no clue at all what "Cheers" means;
or why folks use the expression to finish letters.  I just used it here, to
try to fit in.  To me, it's just a bar where Ted Danson worked.  For a long,
long time.

P.P.S.  I'm equally confused by "Kind Regards", "Warm Regards", and their
seemingly competitive siblings "Kindest Regards" and "Warmest Regards", used
I can only imagine by those trying to one-up those who used the former.  ;)