[Public-engagement] COP26 - Primary school engagement opportunity for ECRs

Br-The-Institute theinstitute at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 16:13:39 BST 2021

Dear all,

Please see below for a COP26 engagement opportunity with primary school pupils. We are looking for volunteers with research related to climate change, and we are particularly keen to involve ECRs (including PhDs) – although anyone that is keen to help is welcome. Please feel free to pass on to any colleagues who you think may be interested.

School engagement opportunity to participate in Primary Parliament, 9 – 11 November 2021

We are looking for early career researchers (PhDs included) to talk about their climate related research to children from Years 5 and 6 as part of this term’s Primary Parliament.  You will talk about your area for around five minutes, say why you are passionate about it and explain how it relates to the themes being discussed at COP26. You will then be matched with a group and answer questions from the young people to help them produce a creative response to bring attention to the area being researched. Basically, a pitch and then a Q&A.

The children will create something on a metre squared piece of paper, share this and then present what they are going to do as a result of what they learned – a piece of research or a practical output.

  *   Tuesday 9 November, 10am-2.30pm, is face to face at Nottingham Council House
  *   Wednesday 10 November, 10am-2.30pm, virtual session
  *   Thursday 11 November, 10am-12pm, shorter session working with special schools

You can volunteer for one session or all three – it’s up to you. Ideally, you would be available from 10am -2.30 pm, but we can work with you joining from 10-12.

Please contact Max Gillingham (max.gillingham at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:max.gillingham at nottingham.ac.uk>) by 5pm on Friday 22 October if interested.

Many thanks,

The Institute for Policy and Engagement