[Xerte] Re: Xerte Toolkits - installation and management special

David Goodwin david at palepurple.co.uk
Tue May 27 17:29:14 BST 2014

> I understand the reasoning, and I do (really) appreciate you doing the
> work you did. It makes it easier to modify the db back-end, and it makes
> XOT safer against SQL injection.

Yes. Note there are outstanding pull requests to merge into XOT on github.

> 1. I do think we should probably implement database_library.php using
> PDO (I would like to do it that way)

Fine with me.

> 2. I do think sqlite has its merits, only not as a default, certainly
> not for an update

Well - the fact it would make installation a lot easier on LAMP/WAMP
style set ups is one of the big pluses I think - i.e. there is no need
to edit any setting files, try and get MySQL working or go into /setup.

Just upload to the server and fix permissions on USER-FILES.

The downsides are that it has no (real) security / no support for
multiple users, and isn't going to persist very well post-reboot at the
moment!

> 3. I think for the time being mysql should still be the default.
>

> So, again, thank you! I would appreciate a PDO implementation if you
> have one, I will modify the installer to ask what engine to use (and
> include sqlite) and go from there.

No problem. I can create a PDO variant easily enough. I'll create a pull
request once done.

David.

--
Pale Purple Ltd

PHP Web application development and support

http://www.palepurple.co.uk
@PalePurpleLtd
07792 380669 / 0845 0046746