[Xerte] Re: Narration oddness (Wizards)

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 26 20:17:44 BST 2011

Hello Deborah,

Is there an optional property in your wizard that offers narration?
If not, then you can add it to the xwd file in the page's folder (each Page
Wizard based page has its own folder. Inside that folder are the xml and xwd
files for the page and changes to these will affect your page. Remember
changing the .rlm file will do nothing to your page as Xerte only uses that
file as information to enable it to build the icon structure for the page in
the .rlo file)

You can check what needs to be added to the xwd file and where by comparing
your xwd file to that from one of my pages in the sample project. If you use
my gapFill page as the example to copy from then you should see the code for
the autoNarration property as well.

Once you have a narration property in the wizard and have added it and
assigned a file to it then you can turn your attention to the getPageID
script for your page in the icon structure of the Xerte project.

Pretty much the last section of that script will be the narration block. You
need to copy the block from my page to your page. Best way to do this is to
open my project in Xerte. Select my gapFill page and then select the
getPageID script and look at the code. Copy the code for the complete
Narration section into notepad, just as a temporary measure. Then close my
project, open your own Project and then open your page's getPageID script.
Then paste in my narration block. Below is an example of the block. The
gapFill page with the option to have narration auto play is slightly
different with an if { } block around the nar.play(); statement.

*if (pageIcon.templateData.learningObject[0].dialog[0].narration !=
undefined){*
*
*
*  narration = pageIcon.templateData.learningObject[0].dialog[0].narration;*
*
*
*  rootIcon.broadcast('showAudio');*
*  nar.play();*
*}*

Note that the blue bits must match the page you are pasting this into. I
think for the gapFill page they will read "gapFill" and not "dialog". You
can tell what they should be as the code will be riddled with
pageIcon.templateData.learningObject[0].pageType[0] statements, where
pageType will be dependent on the Page Wizard used for the page.

That should just about do it. All narration needs to work is
1. The narrationHandler.rlm model on the entryFrame as in the demo project.
2. The xwd file to have the narration option so that the user can add the
narration property and select a file to be narrated.
3. Code in getPageID to action narration if the wizard has a narration
property defined.

Use my project as a model to guide you. The Page Wizards are based on pages
in PageTemplates. I am not sure if all of them offer narration. If a page in
PageTemplates does not offer narration then it is likely that narration has
not been included in the Page Wizard equivalent. However even then the above
information should enable you to add narration.

If you still cannot get your project to work if you want to email me a
zipped up example of what you are doing I will try to figure out what it is
that is tripping everything up.

Kind regards

Johnathan