[Xerte] Re: Narration oddness (Wizards)

Deborah Delin admin at strivney.com
Wed Apr 27 15:31:44 BST 2011

Hi Johnathan,

Well I've done quite a lot of testing of this narration issue and there
definitely are some problems.  You might like to skip over my testing notes
below to the final summary of problems at the bottom.  I am going to send
you a zip file of my test as it does behave differently to yours and I don't
know why that is.  You recently made changes to narration on the gap fill
and I am wondering if the  file you posted to the Wiki might be different to
the one you are working with?

*Testing Notes*
Yes there is an optional property in my Wizard that offers narration but not
the added option of Narration Playback>On Page Load as in your wizard.  I
added narPlayback="pageLoad" to the xml file of my gapfill, as you have in
yours, but the added option still does not show up.

When I added just the block of code about narration to the getPageID script
of the gap fill page, narration still failed to show up but when I deleted
all the code on that page and replaced it with all the code on your gap fill
page the narration showed up.

When I create a new gapfill page the narration script is not there but in
the drag and drop labeling and categories pages, the only other types of
pages I tested, the narration script is included in the getPageId script.

When I add narPlayback="pageLoad" to the gapfill page, the audio file plays
on load.  When I add it to drag and drop and categories pages the narration
does not play on load, but narration control does show up.

I tested both your and my narration test in 3 different browsers with
varying results.  (Sorry there were access problems in the last link I sent
but the following will definitely take you directly to the exercises):

JK Test:    http://www.strivney.com/file.php/58/JK_Test/index.htm
Deborah Test:  http://www.strivney.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=2043

*Google Chrome:*
*
*
*Johnathan Test:  Narration shows up but on page 4 gapfill doesn't auto load
on first load but when returning to it it plays then cuts off after a couple
of seconds.*
*Deborah Test*: Narration shows up but doesn't auto-load (in Google Chrome
on desktop narration on gapfill auto-loads but cuts off after couple of
seconds)
*
*
*IE8:*
*
*
*Johnathan Test:  *As in Google Chrome but sound doesn't cut off when
returning to page 4.

*Deborah Test: *Narration doesn't show up.

*Firefox:*
*
*
*Johnathan Test:  *Narration shows up but no auto load on P4.

*Deborah Test*:  Narration shows up, doesn't auto load and is speeded up and
squeaky.
*
*
To summarise the issues I found:

-  No narration script in getPageID on my gap fill exercise, but narration
script on getPageID of other interactive page scripts.

-   Unable to get narration to auto load on pages other than gap fill, even
after adding narPlayback="pageLoad" to XML file

- Unable to get added option of Narration Playback>On Page Load in Wizard.

Narration issues in various browsers, both with JK and Deborah's tests.

Phew!  I do hope this is all clear...........?  Thanks very much in advance
for your patience.

Deborah