[Xerte] Creating custom templates on the basis of Nottingham.rlt

Peter Huppertz peter.huppertz at baselgovernance.org
Wed Mar 11 21:59:08 GMT 2009

Dear List,

the Nottingham-template of the xerte installation includes many nice
features I would like to have in my own template. On the other hand I want
to tailor the design of my learning piece to the ci of my institute and to
the needs of the project I work on.
So my approach in the past was to take the Nottingham template and
redesign it. For example:
- change the size of the project to my needs
- change the interface with custom header, buttons, panels, fonts, etc.
- change the position of the different items that are
generated/loaded/etc.
- include custom exercises

In the last few days literally every hour a new version of the template
arrived. Which is good in terms of development, but which is bad for me,
cause I must either change my template to include the new features, or
tailor the Nottingham-template again.

So now my question is: is my process the right way to tailor a template to
my needs or is there a completely different approach which is much
simpler? If there is no simpler way, would it be possible to make the
Nottingham-template easier to tailor. Some ideas I have:

- store all positing data in variables based on the size of the stage
- use css styles for all text which is displayed
- create a template for a custom interface (including next/previous
buttons, help button, etc.)

So, please tell me what you think. If you see some value in my idea I
would be happy to help you!

Before I forget it: Xerte is really a great tool. The best balance between
userfriendlyness and totally customizable I have ever seen! Good job.

Peter