[Xerte] Creating custom templates on the basis of Nottingham.rlt

RonM ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 08:46:30 GMT 2009

Some good points Peter and I've briefly discussed bits of this with Julian
too but less about local customisation and more about us all being able to
add to the Nottingham developed templates (and share with the community) in
a way that is efficient and not overridden by future releases. For
example...

Over the last couple of weeks we've been looking at and testing the
differences between different swf and video file formats and how to get them
to work with either the existing page types or where necessary a custom page
type. As a result Julian has added some code to cope with moletv links and a
new page type specifically for Jing movies. But the team at Notts can't
possibly keep up with all the variations out there and not everyone would
need those extra pages either. We can create customised stuff for local
needs which is obviously one of the big benefits of what is a fantastic
tool. However I think we need a way to build additional templates, to share
those with the community and somehow allow an author to use any of the
templates available in the same LO.

I think Julian had some ideas of how this might be achieved but I doubt that
will be in time for the imminent release of toolkits v1. In fact I don't
think we should distract Julian and Pat from getting that finished or do
anything to stop the frequent updates and improvements that have been added
recently or in the future. I think we just need a solution to prevent
duplicated effort.