[Xerte] Working with Templates

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 08:34:47 BST 2008

Thanks for the feedback.

The workflow is roughly:

Double click the xtp file. Let Xerte unzip it for you into a folder.
Open up the .rlt file. The wizard will open. Go ahead and add your pages
and configure them using the forms for each page type.
Press Play to preview your work. At this point your file is saved - it
is also saved when you hit the 'save' button.
When you're done, close the form. The Xerte main window appears.
To get back to the wizard, double-click the Learning Object icon, which
as a little cog wheel on the icon, telling you that this piece is data
driven.
Don't touch the actual .rlt file unless you want to make changes to it -
you can close Xerte as usual from here.
Next time you open the .rlt file, the wizard should open - otherwise
just open it by double clicking the LO icon.

What's actually happening:
The .rlt file is data driven. It gets it's data from an .xml file,
specified in the templateData property of the LO icon.
The wizard edits this xml.
The .xwd file in the project folder tells the wizard how to edit the
file,, i.e. which sort of controls to use for each node or attribute in
the xml file being edited. It's just xml - take a look.
The .xwd means it is extremely quick to develop new editors. Read the
'Developing Templates' guide on the website for more info. Wizards are a
factor of 100 faster and easier to develop than Authorwarew Kos, and
performa  similar function.
The .rlt file is given the xml when it starts and then constructs itself
using the page types held on the pageStore icon. These are data driven
models that use the xml data at runtime.

The idea is that a developer creates whatever templates he wants,
creating the .rlt, the initial .xml and the .xwd files, and zips them up
into an .xtp. He then hands them over to SMEs to use to use to create
the content without having to do anyhting more difficult than use the
wizard. The SME can create as many projects from the .xtp as he wants
and the developer can get back to playing space invaders.

We have some new, very powerful tools we are about to release, which use
the wizard in the browser. In a nutshell, any user can log in, create
projects from .xtp files, edit them (and a heap of other things) all
without having to download and install anything, in a Web 2.0 sort of
fashion. It hugely simplifies the process. All they ever see is a
browser, the toolkits web site and the wizard interface. We're looking
for beta testers very soon with a LAMP setup (even a localhost) they can
trial it on. Let me know if you are interested.