[Xerte] Working with Templates

jventola at verizon.net jventola at verizon.net
Fri Aug 15 00:23:08 BST 2008

Congratulations on 2.0.  It looks great.

In the Help file is information on "Creating Models and Templates" that
speaks of saving an icon as a model and never mentions templates.  What
is the difference?  There is also a section on creating templates for dynamic
use, with the data in xml files.  But there is no section I can find about using
templates to build your lessons.

I am a user.  I have found a wonderful wizard called "pageTemplates" which
is an xtp file.  When I double click that, I get all the tools I need in an Insert
drop down.  Surely, this is the palce to start.  But there is no documentation.
And I do not understand the workflow at all.

I open the xtp fileand create a new rlo file in a folder. The xtp seems to add
a bunch of other files in my folder.  I do some work.  I go to save it.  There is
no SAVE AS only SAVE.  (I guess that is because I am in the wizard?)

So I save and close and find myself in the basic Xerte editor.  Now I can
save the rlo with any name.  I learn that all that stuff from the wizard is in a
framestore.  So save and close the rlo.

Now what?  How to I get back to edit my project? Do I work with the rlo file?
Do I keep loading the wizard?  Do I use the stuff in the framestore?

I need a nice screncast showing how to use a template--from an author's
point of view.  Aimed at the newbie, it could even start from a clean install of
Xerte and should include saving and reloading. If it then covered SCORM
publishing, it would give the newbie a good start.

(The free jingproject.com might provide an easy way to create and publish
such screencasts.  I use the plural because I hope to see many from
generous users of Xerte.)