[Xerte] Updated Dynamic Menu Example

Tenney Julian Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 10:10:06 BST 2008

Mark,

I just updated the dynamic menu example for 2004. It works fine in the
test suite.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte/examples/dynamicMenu2004.zip

The code was originally written for SCORM 1.2. What I did was:

Check that the API calls were working and returning values correctly
(they are - so I knew it wasn't the SCORM itself failing, and Xerte is
indeed compliant);
Check the data element names I was using to get data were correct (they
weren't - so I fixed them. 1.2 uses cmi.core.suspend_data whilst 2004
uses cmi.suspend_data)
Checked the logic that builds the menu - and made a few adjustments. The
test suite returned the string "undefined" for the call to suspend_data
on the first visit, which tripped me up. I was expecting "". I'm not
sure what the docs say should be returned when you ask for suspend_data
that hasn't been set yet.

I used Test Suite 1.3.3 in IE7 no problem.

I made quite a lot of use of fscommand("messageBox", msg); to debug the
values once the piece was running in the browser.

HTH

Jules