[Syrphidae] Suppress Philhelius in order to keep using Xanthogramma

Gerard Pennards gerard_pennards at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:37:27 GMT 2024

Dear All,
Ximo, Andre van Eck and me already had a discussion about it. This is what Ximo said:

None of us like Philhelius, but you can trust me when I say there is no better option. To keep Xanthogramma, someone has to send a proposal to the Commission, and wait 2-4 years until the Commission takes a decision. I have talked with 2 Commissioners and both think that the proposal to keep Xanthogramma will not be accepted because there is no reason (inestability needs to be proven based on criteria that Xanthogramma does not have). Moreover, we afe trying to avoid another episode like the one in the 90s with Chrysotoxum arcuatum and festivum. Accepting the fact that Philhelius is the valid senior synonym will avoid the confusion of which name to use in the period from the proposal until the decision is published; 2-4 years where one can use either name creating much more confusion and inestability. Keep using Xanthogramma thinking that the problem will be solved in the future is an illusion, and the problem willbecome bigger.

Kind regards,
Gerard