[Syrphidae] Suppress Philhelius in order to keep using Xanthogramma

Jeroen van Steenis j.van.steenis at xmsnet.nl
Tue Mar 5 11:41:54 GMT 2024

Dear Bastiaan

You address several problems.

Systema Dipterorum is not a scientific resource in the sense that it is an
official publication organ and not peer-reviewed. The status of names on
this website has no value for science. The names are not always officially
published and should not be used by GBIF or anyone else if there is no
publication stating the information on SD is correct.

The other thing is that "a useful scientific purpose" is arguable as there
are several aspects involved like nomenclature, stability, phylogeny etc.

The last problem is that, when a name has not been in use for over 100
years it can be disregarded and thus not used. In the case of Philhelius
the name was reintroduced by Evenhuis in 2018 with good arguments that it
concerns Xanthogramma.  This makes it very hard, if even possible to get
Philhelius suppressed.

It is best if you write to Neal or any other member of the ICZN to ask if
filing this case could be successful or not.

Good luck.

Best wishes,

Jeroen