[Syrphidae] Re: About Syrphus sexguttatus - reference needed

ximo mengual sanchis xmengual at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:48:27 GMT 2021

Thanks Thomas,

I overlooked the date of Wulp; my mistake. You are right, it was the other
way around. I can accept a typo from Chris and that the valid name is *Syrphus
sexguttatus* Meigen, 1835, but why is this taxon cited as *Melangyna
compositarum* in all recent literature?

No, SD should not be used to justify one or another decision, but it
brought tot my attention this 'issue'. The important question here is
about *sexguttaus
*and *compositarum*, I guess.

Cheers,

Ximo