[Syrphidae] E. balteatus in Europe 2001: re-sending

Matthew Sullivan m.sullivan@mmu.ac.uk
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:35:40 +0000

--------------060905070000070800010004

Apologies for this, but some people did not get the full message last
time.  Trying again.  There is no attachment.  Matthew.

Dear Friends,

For some time I have been interested in Episyrphus balteatus in Europe,
in particular the extent to which there may exist some distinguishable
sub-populations.

One of the factors influencing gene-flow within Europe might be
migration, and knowledge of the timing of first appearance of this
species across Europe might shed some light on migration patterns.

I would therefore like to recruit some assistance in a little data
collection, using the facility of this email distribution list. An
e-experiment!

I wonder if colleagues in Europe could email me the date when they first
see Episyrphus balteatus in flight for the year 2001?

The data should include at least the date and latitude and longitude of
the sighting.  Additional data might include numbers, sexes, temperature
and any notes on behaviour or habitat.

I will collate the information and present it approximately monthly on
the 'Register of Syrphid Biologists' web site.  All contributors will be
fully acknowledged.

I am happy to receive suggestions from everyone about how to improve
these data.

In the meantime,

Seasons Greetings and Happy New Year to you all!

Matthew Sullivan

--
Dr Matthew S. Sullivan
Behavioural and Environmental Biology

Tel +44 (0)161 247 1164
Fax +44 (0)161 247 6325
M.Sullivan@mmu.ac.uk <mailto:M.Sullivan@mmu.ac.uk>

--------------060905070000070800010004

Dear Friends,<br>

One of the factors influencing gene-flow within Europe might be migration,
and knowledge of the timing of first appearance of this species across Europe
might shed some light on migration patterns.<br>

I would therefore like to recruit some assistance in a little data collection,
using the facility of this email distribution list. An e-experiment!<br>

The data should include at least the date and latitude and longitude of the
sighting.&nbsp; Additional data might include numbers, sexes, temperature and
any notes on behaviour or habitat.<br>

I will collate the information and present it approximately monthly on the
'Register of Syrphid Biologists' web site.&nbsp; All contributors will be fully
acknowledged.<br>

I am happy to receive suggestions from everyone about how to improve these data.<br>

In the meantime,<br>

Seasons Greetings and Happy New Year to you all!<br>

Matthew Sullivan<br>
<pre class="moz-signature">--
Dr Matthew S. Sullivan
Behavioural and Environmental Biology