[Maths-Education] Course Text Suggestions

David H Kirshner dkirsh at lsu.edu
Thu Jul 18 16:21:50 BST 2019

Colleagues,

I teach a graduate course that takes as its mantle the conceptual content of mathematics PK-16.
The major course readings span mathematics topics and grade levels, revealing insights gathered primarily in the psychological constructivist tradition into how understandings are constituted and develop in each major topic area (e.g., counting concepts, additive concepts, geometric concepts, rational number concepts, algebraic concepts, limit concepts).
I typically have compiled a set of readings, but wonder if there's a text you could recommend that provides a general overview of the literature for each topic area in a serious but accessible format. The text could span the whole range of topics, or be specific to a grade level band such as elementary or secondary education.

Your suggestion of a text would be greatly appreciated, even if you're not 100% sure it's what I'm looking for.

The course has a clinical focus. Each student selects a topic area, writes a review of the conceptual development literature for that topic, and works one-on-one with a pupil at our laboratory school for five 1-hour sessions to develop their understanding of that topic. Students record and selectively transcribe the session as the basis for clinical reports which I read every week. I'm glad to share the syllabus if anyone is interested.

David Kirshner

David Kirshner, Professor
Mathematics Education
103 Peabody Hall
School of Education
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge LA 70803-4728
Office: (225) 578-2332    Fax: (225) 578-9135
https://www.lsu.edu/chse/education/faculty_and_staff_directory/dkirshner.php