[Maths-Education] Re: Philosophy of Maths Ed Journal no. 28 is now out!

Ernest, Paul P.Ernest at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Nov 12 11:29:09 GMT 2014

So sorry about the link

Thanks Joan for pointing out that

URL  http://people.exeter.ac.uk/PErnest/pome28/

works

I hope it still works when I resend it! A search for Paul Ernest will take you to my page and there it is!

Dear colleagues

I am pleased to announce that the Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal issue no. 28 is now available at  above link

The final contents page is included below. As you can see it is an interesting and varied issue!

There were not enough submitted papers or expressions of intent for a full issue on maths and gender - but there are 5 very interesting papers below in the dedicated first section on this topic. If you were planning to submit for issue no. 29 on this topic (as was originally announced) there will be room for your paper in the next issue.

The second section on other topics contains some very interesting and ground-breaking papers, too many to mention individually.  Two innovative papers are the first paper, which is a composite on a variety of interesting topics put together from a real dialogue conducted earlier this year. In addition, the last paper is Bal Chandra Luitel's  PhD thesis - innovative in form, methodology and content!

The Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal no. 29 will be put together in 2015 - please start thinking about your contribution! Remember we reprint earlier publications to reach a wider or different audience - and you do not surrender copyright. If in doubt, please run your ideas past me!

Best wishes

Paul

_________
Paul Ernest
Emeritus Professor, Education, Exeter University, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Homepage http://www.people.ex.ac.uk/PErnest/ Philosophy of Maths Ed Journal

Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal
No. 28 (October 2014)         ISSN 1465-2978 (Online)

Editor: Paul Ernest

________________________________
CONTENTS

MATHEMATICS AND GENDER

Margaret Walshaw and Roger Openshaw   Constructing the Female Mathematics Teacher: A New Zealand Historical Case Study
Katarina With and Yvette Solomon   Choosing Mathematics in Norway and England: Discourses of Gender, Equity and Choice
Lovisa Sumpter  Four Female Mathematicians’ Collective Narrative: Reasons to Leave Academia
Walter Whiteley  Differential Interest of Women among areas of Mathematics and Statistics
Jennifer Hall  Unpacking ‘Gender Issues’ Research

OTHER TOPICS

Various Authors  Dialogue on 2+2=5, The Philosophy of Mathematics and Mathematics Education
Elizabeth de Freitas and Nathalie Sinclair  The Politics of the Mathematic Aesthetic: Curricular Con(Sens)Us and Acts of Dissensus
Nataly Chesky  Policy and Praxis: An Ontological Study of U.S. Mathematics Education Discourses
Paul Ernest   Certainty in Mathematics: Is There a Problem?
Mary Briggs  The ‘Right Baggage’ For Mathematics?
Alakanani Alex Nkhwalume  A Social Constructivist Perspective of Learning Mathematics in the African Context
Lixin Luo  Recursion in the Mathematics Curriculum
Danielle Goodwin et al.  Exploring the Relationship Between Teachers’ Images of Mathematics and their Mathematics History Knowledge
Bal Chandra Luitel    Culture, Worldview and Transformative Philosophy of Mathematics Education in Nepal: A Cultural-Philosophical Inquiry