[Maths-Education] Re: Maths-Education Digest, Vol 77, Issue 12

Forsythe, Susan K. skf6 at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 12:44:32 GMT 2011

I know that the interesting discussion on the value of ICT has moved on a bit since it first started but I wanted to share my experience.
For my Masters dissertation, which I completed in 2006, I enquired into whether teaching and learning of geometrical concepts through the medium of Dynamic Geometry Software (DGS) could be shown to be effective. I was still a classroom teacher at this point and, for my study, I taught two parallel classes in year 7, two of the geometry topics from the year 7 programme of study (from the English National Framework for Teaching Mathematics). The target group worked with DGS and the control group worked using pencil and paper methods. Both classes had the same number of lessons for the two topics and the control group did a lot of practical activities so that it would not be all bookwork and I, as the teacher, would be as enthusiastic about their lessons as with the computer based lessons.
The study used quantitative methods to analyse the effectiveness of the two teaching methods (by testing the children). This had to be done using pencil and paper tests because the control class had not learnt to use the software. By the end of the study there was a statistically significant difference between the test results of the two classes. The target class, who had learnt through the medium of the computer, achieved better results in the tests. The results were even more pronounced for the target boys.
I appreciate that this is only a study carried out for a Masters degree and only for a small sample size of two school classes. However, if anyone is interested then I would be happy to email them my dissertation. I also wrote an article based on my results in Mathematics Teaching, no. 202.

Sue Forsythe
Lecturer in Mathematics Education
School of Education
University of Leicester