[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

Julian Gilbey jdg at polya.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 12 20:07:11 GMT 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:05:08AM +0000, Peters, Mike wrote:
> Playing devil's advocate, I think it is time that the mathematics curriculum, especially in my sector engineering, was overhauled and the use of ICT and other educational resources became embedded and not viewed as bolt ons.  Which has implications for the way we assess mathematical skills/knowledge, but that is another heated debate.

I fully agree.  Sadly, the current reality is far from that in (at
least some) schools.  I am currently a secondary mathematics teacher,
and my school has recently built a new maths building.  (We are now in
our second year of using it.)  It has two computer rooms and eight
regular classrooms.  Unfortunately, though, the computer rooms are
almost in constant use for teaching this subject called "ICT", which
is a synonym for "Microsoft Office", and so are almost never available
for teaching mathematics.

   (Dr) Julian Gilbey