[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

Peters, Mike M.PETERS at aston.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 09:05:08 GMT 2011

My primary role is teaching mathematics to power engineers.  These people work in a safety critical industry and they need to have the ability to interpret what the mathematics is telling them.  Although some consider programs such as Excel only useful for Statistics, I use it a lot to give the learners a 'picture' of what the mathematics is telling them.  Learners of mathematics also need to have the ability to decide if their resolutions/solutions are sensible.  Too often I see learners who are very good at the algorithmic approach but who come unstuck when you ask them (a) to interpret their answer and, (b) is their answer sensible.

In my opinion if technology, whether it be an abacus or a sophisticated computer program assists learners in their understanding and interpretation of mathematics, it has got to be a good thing.  The only caveat I would add is that the educational need must be the driver not the fact that a computer package exists and therefore must be used.  A typical example of this is, what was known as SPSS.  It seems to me that some learners can spend their statistics lessons learning how to use the program and lecturers, when asked why they use it, feel they must since that is the accepted wisdom.

My point is that not so long ago pencil and paper were the only available options for abstracting a problem.  With the right 'tools' (eg. CAS) we have the opportunity to assist learners in some instances of 'visualising' the problem and also to explore 'what if..' type scenarios.

Playing devil's advocate, I think it is time that the mathematics curriculum, especially in my sector engineering, was overhauled and the use of ICT and other educational resources became embedded and not viewed as bolt ons.  Which has implications for the way we assess mathematical skills/knowledge, but that is another heated debate.

Mike

Dr. Michael Peters
Learning Development Advisor (Mathematics)
School of Engineering and Applied Science
Aston University
Aston Triangle
Birmingham
B4 7ET