[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

David H Kirshner dkirsh at lsu.edu
Wed Mar 9 09:56:48 GMT 2011

But Alexandre's position:

> IMHO, the ability to do and to communicate mathematics should not
depend on the medium of communication. If it is dependent than something
is wrong it the way students are taught.

goes well beyond a concern for transfer. Alexandre's idealism denies the
material constitution of knowledge, arguing instead for an utterly
abstract and a-contextual form of knowledge. I might subscribe to that
vision as well, except for the fact that my own construal of mathematics
is regularly revealed as limited and context bound whenever the framing
is shifted even slightly. An excellent testing ground is Stephen Brown
and Marion Walter's (1990) The Art of Problem Posing. Their "what if
not" method just shatters my illusions of decontextual knowledge for
even simple mathematics, the so-called abstract representations
revealing themselves, yet again, as nothing more than another concrete
symbol system. The tradition of critique of idealism is strongly
represented in the pragmatist philosophy of James, Dewey, and Mead,
especially as incorporating Charles Peirce's tripartite semiotic system
in which the sign involves an interplay of the representamen (the
physical signifier), the object (that which is signified), and the
interpretant (the effect produced by the sign).

David Kirshner