[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

dylanwiliam at mac.com dylanwiliam at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 09:08:03 GMT 2011

Of course this is the age old problem of "transfer" in psychology. What is undoubtedly true but rarely acknowledged explicitly is that as teachers we never care about our students' ability to do what we have taught them. If I teach students to add two fractions, I do not care about whether they can add those two fractions—of course they can; I have just shown them how to do it. What I care about is whether they can add a different pair of fractions. From a situated learning perspective, it seems to me that the issue is the extent to which students become attuned to the constraints and affordances present in the learning environment, and whether those constraints and affordances are present in other environments in which the student is likely to find herself.

Dylan Wiliam