[Maths-Education] ICT in Mathematics

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Thu Mar 10 11:51:01 GMT 2011

I came across this horror story, or cautionary tale, about the dangers
lurking in for-profit "educational" organisations using, or should that
be abusing, on line tuition, which may interest list members. It harks
back to some previous comments (some extracts below) contrasting "vested
interests" with "independent evaluation" of ICT and specifically on-line
tuition.    See
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/09/ashford-university-for-profit-college_n_833735.html

As the article notes, this is an increasing and obviously profitable
trend in the USA. As far as technology and computers in education are
concerned, in general we should therefore never forget the GIGO principle.

On the same theme, this blog culled from another List is also relevant:
"I have attempted in this blog to start to distinguish different aspects
of public engagement, it is so often misused and industry doesn't really
understand the term at all  .http://www.matterforall.org/blog/   Hilary
Sutcliffe, Director, MATTER, Email: hilary at matterforall.org
<mailto:hilary at matterforall.org>

Best wishes,
Alan

PS If you have found on line USA newspapers very pallid , you  might
like to try the HuffingtonPost which is nothing if not different, and
stimulating!