[Maths-Education] RE: Teaching Mathematics

tr202 at cam.ac.uk tr202 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 3 11:50:27 GMT 2009

Dear Michael,

I can add that Lulu Healy and her colleagues have also been working in this
area. I suggest that you google Lulu and "visually impaired" for papers etc.
Tim Rowland
Faculty of Education
University of Cambridge

--On 03 March 2009 10:20 +0000 "Ernest, Paul" <P.Ernest at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

> ********************************** This message has been generated
> through the Mathematics Education email discussion list. Hitting the
> REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> ********************************** Dear Michael
>
> I read your message and wanted to draw your attention to two papers of
> relevance to your inquiry freely available on the web
>
> The papers are:
>
> SPECIAL STUDENTS
> Oliv G. Klingenberg  Geometry: Educational Implications for Children with
> Visual Impairment (doc, 4Mb) Mariella Tanti   Teaching Mathematics to a
> Blind Student - A Case Study (pdf, 5Mb)
>
> These are from
>
> Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal No. 20 (June 2007)   ISSN
> 1465-2978 (Online)  Editor: Paul Ernest
> ------- SPECIAL ISSUE ON SOCIAL JUSTICE, PART 1
> (Last section on SPECIAL STUDENTS)

> Good luck
>
> Best wishes
>
> Paul
> __________________
> Paul Ernest
> Emeritus Professor
> University of Exeter
> SELL, St Lukes, Heavitree Road
> Exeter  EX1 2LU, UK
>
> Visiting Professor, HiST-ALT, Norway
> Visiting Professor, UiO, Norway
>
> http://www.people.ex.ac.uk/PErnest/
> for Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal - No. 23 is out now!
> No. 24 in 2009 will have theme 'Mathematics and Art' -- please consider
> contributing!
>
> Forthcoming book in 2009 Critical Issues in Mathematics Education by
> Ernest, Greer and Sriraman (Eds) at
> http://www.infoagepub.com/products/content/p490a29296b4d1.php
> From: maths-education-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
> [maths-education-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Peter Gates
> [Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk] Sent: 02 March 2009 21:27
> To: maths-education at nottingham.ac.uk
> Subject: [Maths-Education] FW: Teaching Mathematics

> ********************************** This message has been generated
> through the Mathematics Education email discussion list. Hitting the
> REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> **********************************
>

> Hello,
>

> I am sorry to trouble, I am currently in placement teaching Essential
> Skills Maths, mostly at Level 2 and was wondering if i could ask some
> advice.
>

> I am totally blind and am trying to find solutions to make the teaching
> of the more visual aspects easier for me to convey to the learners.
>

> I also mentor students for GCSE maths, and am not sure what will be the
> best to describe to them rotation scaling etc. In the case of the
> students for GCSE, the students are totally blind also, with the
> essential Skills class, they are all mostly sighted.
>

> Can you help?
>

> Many thanks
>

> Michael Moore
>

> michael.moore at nrc.ac.uk
>
> MikeIs at homecall.co.uk

_______________________________

Dr Tim Rowland
Faculty of Education
University of Cambridge
184 Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 8PQ
England

Phone [44] [0]1223 767560
Fax [44] [0]1223 300982
email tr202 at cam.ac.uk

Editor, Research in Mathematics Education
(Routledge)
http://www.informaworld.com/rme

http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/staff/rowland.html

http://www.maths-ed.org.uk/