[Maths-Education] What makes a good maths test question?

Malcolm Swan ttzmbs at exmail.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 11:03:20 GMT 2009

Dear Sarah (and Tandi)

I have attached a document that summarises our views and some ideas.
These were recently sent in response to a similar request from the US.
The attached examples are therefore a little more conservative than we would
have wished as they are a little less sophisticated than we are!

We are currently developing and piloting some 15 minute open-items for
Bowland for KS3.

Malcolm

On 12/12/2008 06:07, "Tandi Clausen-May" <tandi.clausen-may at virgin.net>
wrote:

> *****************************
> This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email
> discussion list.
> Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> *****************************
> Sarah Maughan, a colleague at the NFER, has asked me to circulate this message
> to the MathsEd list.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!  Tandi
> (Tandi Clausen-May)
>
> Dear All
>
> I have recently started work at the NFER (National Foundation for Educational
> Research) after a period of time working at the NCETM (National Centre for
> Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics).  I am about to start a small
> research project investigating what good test/ examination questions there are
> in use for assessing mathematics.  We are looking at a wide range of different
> available options and analysing the item types within them.  We then hope to
> speak to a number of key mathematics experts to collect their views on what a
> good assessment of mathematics is, or should be, like.
>
> I would really appreciate your help with either part of this research: what
> good assessments (or items within assessments) do you think already exist?
> And/or, would you like to be interviewed about what good mathematics
> assessment should be like?
>
> If you have any questions about the project or would like to contribute to the
> research, please reply to this email or email me at s.maughan at nfer.ac.uk
>
> Sarah
> Sarah Maughan
> Head of Assessment Policy and Impact
> Department for Research in Assessment and Measurement
> National Foundation for Educational Research
> The Mere Upton Park Slough SL1 2DQ United Kingdom
> Tel:  +44 (0)1753 637137     Fax:  +44 (0)1753 671708
> e-mail:  s.maughan at nfer.ac.uk
> Web Site http://www.nfer.ac.uk

Dr. Malcolm Swan
Professor of Mathematics Education