[Maths-Education] Seminar

Mike Askew maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:55:43 +0000

--============_-1135085552==_ma============

King's College London, Mathematics Education Research Group (MERG)

Seminar series

Making connections:  Bringing together research, policy and practice
in mathematics education

The King's College Mathematics Education Research Group is mounting a
seminar series in which we hope to bring together researchers,
practitioners and policy makers to discuss issues of common concern.

The first seminar in the series is:

Exploring primary teachers' mathematics subject knowledge.

Monday 23 February 2004, 5.30  - 7.00 pm

Understanding the mathematical subject knowledge that primary school
teachers' need has long been recognized as important. However, the
necessary extent and nature of such knowledge is still
under-researched. Literature in this area is largely informed by the
cognitive paradigm and research findings are dominated by results
from individual interviews which assumes that subject knowledge can
be investigated independently of classroom interactions.

The two papers presented in this seminar will look at ways of
exploring and understanding mathematics subject knowledge as it is
played out in context, rather than simply through reports in
interview. Both papers raise questions about the sort of subject
knowledge that mathematics teaching demands and about current models
of continuing professsional development.

Researching teachers' knowledge of mathematics: Towards a social and
situated approach
Jeremy Hodgen

In this session, I will suggest ways in which a situated approach to
cognition can recognise distributed aspects of teacher knowledge. I
will draw on my own longitudinal study with a group of primary
teachers. I will discuss how the teachers appeared to know "more"
mathematics in the context of practice than was evident from
individual interviews. In doing so, I will critique my own research
methods and suggest possible alternative modes of research.

Subject matter for teaching: Profound understanding of fundamental
mathematics in action.
Mike Askew

Influential research from Liping Ma has suggested that rather than
'more' or 'higher' mathematics subject knowledge, teachers need to
have a 'profound understanding of fundamental mathematics'. Drawing
on data from the five-year Leverhulme longitudinal study of primacy
numeracy I will look at the demands that planning and carrying
teaching place on teachers in terms of such profound understanding. I
will also consider whether current approaches to professional develop
help meet the needs of teachers in terms of developing such
understanding.

Respondent: Rob Briscoe, Head of School Improvement, London Borough
of Tower Hamlets.

Venue:

Room G8
Franklin Wilkins Building Annex, Waterloo Road.
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.
A map of the locality is available at:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html

Tea and coffee will be available from 5.00. You are invited to stay
for drinks at 7.00.

All are welcome.

Please let Mona Turnbull know if you intend to come along
(Mona.Turnbull@kcl.ac.uk, telephone 020 7848 3133).

--
Mike Askew, Reader in Mathematics Education
Department of Education and Professional Studies

Tel:	    +44 (0)20 7848 3178
Fax:        +44 (0)20 7848 3182
e-mail:	    mike.askew@kcl.ac.uk
homepage:	http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education/hpages/maskew.html

The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.
A map of the locality is available at:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html

For more information about Education at King's see
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education
--============_-1135085552==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
Mathematics Education Research Group (MERG)<br>
Seminar series<br>
Making connections:&nbsp; Bringing together research, policy and
practice in mathematics education<br>
Mathematics Education Research Group is mounting a seminar series in
which we hope to bring together researchers, practitioners and policy
makers to discuss issues of common concern.<br>
The first seminar in the series is:<br>
mathematics subject knowledge.<br>
the mathematical subject knowledge that primary school teachers'
need has long been recognized as important. However, the necessary
extent and nature of such knowledge is still under-researched.
Literature in this area is largely informed by the cognitive paradigm
and research findings are dominated by results from individual
interviews which assumes that subject knowledge can be investigated
independently of classroom interactions.<br>
The two papers presented in this seminar will look at ways of
exploring and understanding mathematics subject knowledge as it is
played out in context, rather than simply through reports in
interview. Both papers raise questions about the sort of subject
knowledge that mathematics teaching demands and about current models
of continuing professsional development.<br>
<b>Researching teachers' knowledge of mathematics: Towards a social
and situated approach<br>
</b>Jeremy Hodgen<br>
In this session, I will suggest ways in which a situated approach to
cognition can recognise distributed aspects of teacher knowledge. I
will draw on my own longitudinal study with a group of primary
teachers. I will discuss how the teachers appeared to know &quot;more&quot;
mathematics in the context of practice than was evident from
individual interviews. In doing so, I will critique my own research
methods and suggest possible alternative modes of research.<br>
<b>Subject matter for teaching: Profound understanding of fundamental
mathematics in action.<br>
</b>Mike Askew<br>
Influential research from Liping Ma has suggested that rather than
'more' or 'higher' mathematics subject knowledge, teachers need
to have a 'profound understanding of fundamental mathematics'.
Drawing on data from the five-year Leverhulme longitudinal study of
primacy numeracy I will look at the demands that planning and carrying
teaching place on teachers in terms of such profound understanding. I
will also consider whether current approaches to professional develop
help meet the needs of teachers in terms of developing such
understanding.<br>
<b>Respondent: Rob Briscoe, Head of School Improvement, London Borough
of Tower Hamlets.<br>
<i>Venue:<br>
Franklin Wilkins Building Annex, Waterloo Road.<br>
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.<br>
A map of the locality is available at:<br>
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html<br>
Tea and coffee will be available from 5.00. You are invited to stay
for drinks at 7.00.<br>
All are welcome.<br>
Please let Mona Turnbull know if you intend to come along
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>
Department of Education and Professional Studies<br>
Waterloo Bridge Wing<br>
Franklin-Wilkins Building<br>
Waterloo Campus<br>
King's College London<br>
Waterloo Road<br>
London SE1 9NN<br>
Tel:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +44
(0)20 7848 3178<br>
Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +44 (0)20 7848 3182<br>
e-mail:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
mike.askew@kcl.ac.uk<br>
homepage:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education/hpages/maskew.html<br>
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.<br>
A map of the locality is available at:<br>
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html<br>
For more information about Education at King's see<br>
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education</div>