[Maths-Education] Creativity and ICT in the mathematics classroom

David Wright maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:31:56 +0100

A recent conference on ICT and Creativity sponsored by QCA and Becta
included a discussion group on mathematics education.  I thought the list
might like to see notes taken during the discussion and feedback any
reactions to the issues raised.
List members have also asked me to provide a reference to the materials on
using small software with hand held technology in mathematics classrooms.
These can be easily reached from http://vtc.ngfl.gov.uk/calculators
David Wright
Education Officer
Curriculum Strategies
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta)
david_wright@becta.org.uk
mobile 07941 456 340
Office 02476 416994

INVESTIGATING HOW TEACHERS MIGHT USE ICT
TO PROMOTE PUPILS' CREATIVITY ACROSS THE CURRICULUM

Mathematics Group - record of discussion on how teachers might:

*	Recognise pupils' creative thinking and behaviour when they are
using ICT in the context of the subject/ aspect of the curriculum
*	Use ICT to promote pupils' creative thinking and behaviour
*	Use ICT to promote a creative learning environment

Interpretation of task and responses:

It was agreed that the teacher is the principal factor, and that a suitable
classroom atmosphere has to exist before any of the following strategies can
successfully support a culture of creativity.

What is Creativity? What does it look like? How do we know it when we see
it?

*	Stimulated curiosity that leads a pupil to pose their own problems -
and choose their own path towards a solution.
For example: a pupil sees a shape or pattern and tries to replicate it in
Logo

How do we promote creativity? What is the teacher's role?
Teacher's role:
*	Introducing the exploration of a new area beginning with a
situation, not a specific task, letting pupil discussion lead towards a
problem(s) of interest, with negotiated relevance.
*	Modelling an enquiry style of learning:
	*	Asking open questions:
		For example: "Can you give me some more information
about...? etc".
	*	Fostering the "What if?" attitude.
	*	Allowing pursuit of the initial question to be replaced by a
new direction if that occurs.
	*	Encouraging pupils to take risks with possible solutions.
	*	Not attaching any stigma to wrong answers.
	*	Saying "I don't know", leaving room for students to explore
the area of unknowing.
	*	Allowing the sharing of ideas with others. For example "make
a square and a rhombus to have the same area" where pupils in different
locations share ideas.
	*	Guiding the above process so that it is productive, judging
when closure helps and when a new direction is needed.
*	Recognising that a pupil's arriving at a 'classic' solution of a
problem, which they have not encountered before, is as creative as a pupil
thinking of a novel solution.
*	Recognising that all learning involves creativity if pupils
construct their own meanings.
*	Allowing pupils' ownership of the ideas generating process - the
above suggestions help to foster this.
*	Recognising the importance of Geometric Construction and other
spatial intellectual experiences in order to include the wide variety of
learning styles among pupils.
*	Question arising in the course of discussion: "if effective teachers
set clear learning objectives how do teachers encourage creativity and still
operate effectively?" Is there a tension between establishing clear learning
objectives and fostering creativity in mathematics?
	There was a feeling in the group that openness, which fosters
creativity, is not valued. That there is a perceived pressure to hit closed
objectives, particularly in mathematics using the national frameworks.

	The place of ICT in mathematical creativity
*	ICT is not central to the issue, but can provide a very important
environment.
*	ICT can change the pupil's attitude to taking risks or being wrong
through simple and neutral feedback. A pupil can form a tentative view, make
an initial decision, and examine the effect.
	*	Thus ICT shows the consequences of a choice or decision. For
example in defining the procedure (Logo), setting the construction rule
(dynamic geometry), or building the formula (spreadsheet).
*	ICT can offer alternative routes into a problem
	*	E.g.: "Room Doubling" (Nrich) could use a spreadsheet to
explore number patterns. The spreadsheet allows quick generation of
numerical results, giving pupils a better chance to see relationships - it
may give them more to notice and attempt to account for.
*	ICT offers many stimulating environments, for example: new ways to
display and share ideas, promoting discussion around the computer, or
between pupils in different locations

What is helpful in the learning environment?

*	Creating:
	*	a rich stimulating environment where children can display
their creative characteristics
	*	an atmosphere of question posing and openness to the variety
in directions taken towards solutions.
*	Having available a variety of resources/tools which students can
access with confidence.

Notes recorded by Graeme Brown  (graemebrownuk@hotmail.com)
Revised by David Wright (Becta) (david_wright@becta.org.uk)

the system manager.