[Maths-Education] Learning Styles in Mathematics Education

Derek Woodrow d.woodrow@mmu.ac.uk
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:08:17 +0000

--------------4A085FFB23909979A0ABD750

Peter,
We have just finished a major enquiry into the learning preferences of higher education students (see Jarvis and Woodrow on
Education-line for a summary, and a briefer one in BCME-5 proceedings).  The mathematics students at both undergraduate and PGCE
levels were at one extreme of our scales.  We use learning preferences since this term expresses some question about their
permanence whilst still maintaining some resistance to change!  Cognitive style (see Riding(UK))  is essentially seen as
personality traits and the other major definition is learning styles  (see Entwistle(UK), Biggs(Australia), Dunn(USA)) which are
also seen as rather fixed - for a reasonable survey see 'Learning Styles and strategies:  review of research' by Adey,
Fairbroither and Wiliam at Kings College.  Rita Dunn and co of St Johns University in New York have some work on mathematics
using their particular well tested Learning Styles Inventory - you can get to their website through the links on the European
Learning Styles Information Network on www.elsinnet.org.uk.  You are right that there is little on mathematics - indeed there is
very little of any kind in UKeducation circles.

Derek Woodrow

--------------4A085FFB23909979A0ABD750

begin:vcard
n:Woodrow;Derek
tel;cell:0775 384 2570
tel;home:0161 282 3206
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Manchester Metropoliotan University
version:2.1
email;internet:d.woodrow@mmu.ac.uk
title:Professor
adr;quoted-printable:;;4 Selsey Avenue=0D=0A=0D=0A;Sale;Cheshire;M33 4RL;
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
fn:Derek  Woodrow
end:vcard

--------------4A085FFB23909979A0ABD750--