[Maths-Education] Learning Styles in Mathematics Education

Peter Gates peter.gates@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:31:33 +0000

A colleague and I are looking into the issue of learning styles and working
on exploring preferred learning styles in mathematics. There is of course a
range of issues and questions in there, not least of all whether such
things as learning styles actually exist or not.

We would be interested to hear from anyone also working in this area, or
who had experience, expertise, references etc. There is a lot written about
visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners, etc. but seemingly not a great
deal that is embedded within maths education. Is this because we are too
skeptical? Are we more sophisticated than that?

If there are learning styles are these preferred or habitual?

Dr. Peter Gates
Director of Research Students
School of Education
University of Nottingham