[Xerte] non coders?

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 09:16:44 GMT 2010

I would love to see more discussion about design of content, what makes
good interactivity and all that stuff - there's too much terrible
elearning out there, and it's not to do with the coding. Good design and
a bit of coding makes much better content than lots of coding a bit of
design.

You can do quite a bit without writing a lot of code, particularly
around presenting media: text, sound, video and graphics, and create
some simple interactivity. If you work through the getting started
guide, I think you'll see what can be done without a lot of code.

Once you do start writing code, Xerte can do an awful lot for you. The
icons hide an awful lot of complexity that would otherwise be
time-consuming to create, and so development can be very fast, compared
to creating the equivalent content off the bat in Flash. Coding isn't so
hard - and when you master it, you can do anything you want.