[Xerte] New Technologies

Fred Riley Fred.Riley at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 13:24:52 GMT 2010

> Mobile and e-book (possibly converged) will be unstopppable.

I remember 'e-books' being demonstrated at learning technology
conferences over a decade ago, and particularly remember one sad bugger
trying to sell them by saying that he read his in bed before sleep in
preference to a paperback. For all the hype, they've still not become
popular, for the very simple reason that they can't beat the analogue
alternative on price, flexibility and usability.

'm-learning' has been the next 'big thing' for the last 5 years and
hasn't cracked it, not least because there is *no* mobile device data
standard. WML failed, plain HTML fails, FlashLite was only available for
certain models, now we have Apple flogging another proprietary
non-standards-compliant device. 'm-learning' is knackered because the
whole sector is badly balkanised and non-interoperable, and developers
naturally ask themselves why they should bother developing a specific
app for a specific device in a specific context that will be obsolete in
a few years with all their code and content locked into a proprietary
format. Mobile learning, to my knowledge, has only worked in specific
situations, an example being Nottingham's own Geography school which
uses PDAs - already considered obsolete and sooooo noughties - and GPS
on Geology field trips, which works a treat for the students in that
school but which isn't transferable.

Just my 2 Euro's worth as an old e-learning hand who, sadly, has seen
all this "unstoppable" things flourish and die (Laserdiscs, anyone?)...

Cheers

Fred

Fred Riley
Learning Technologist
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Physiotherapy, University of Nottingham
Vcard: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nursing/sonet/about/fr_uon.vcf