[Xerte] missing Xerte docs on flash interaction

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 5 14:57:36 GMT 2010

1.       The code in your swf can call xerte functions: so you can call
_level0.engine.setValue() to communicate with the LMS directly from the
SWF.

2.       Yes. Always good practice.

3.       It's up to you to build the interface how you want it. That SWF
will need to get data from the .rlo file, probably, to create a list of
pages for example. You can either send this data into a component icon,
which loads your swf using the initObject parameter (best) or access the
data directly from the SWF (try
debug(_level0.engine.myIconID.XMLElement) for the raw data.

4.       The xerte runtime is only 141KB, so I'd just include it all.
Otherwise you need to edit XMLEngine.fla which you can get in the google
code repository.

HTH. Fire away with more specific questions.