[Reading-hall-of-fame] Reading-hall-of-fame Digest, Vol 207, Issue 2

Steve Graham steve.graham at asu.edu
Mon Aug 31 17:07:50 BST 2026


David's passing is a huge loss for those of us who care about literacy. He was tireless in his efforts to promote reading and those who studied it. I did not get to know him personally until the last 7 or 8 years, but he is someone you never forget once you met him. I can only imagine how many lives he touched and how many will be saddened by his [assing.

Steve Graham
________________________________
From: Reading-hall-of-fame <reading-hall-of-fame-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk> on behalf of reading-hall-of-fame-request at lists.nottingham.ac.uk <reading-hall-of-fame-request at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2026 8:50 AM
To: reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk <reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject: Reading-hall-of-fame Digest, Vol 207, Issue 2

Send Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list submissions to
        reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        reading-hall-of-fame-request at lists.nottingham.ac.uk

You can reach the person managing the list at
        reading-hall-of-fame-owner at lists.nottingham.ac.uk

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Reading-hall-of-fame digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Message from P David (Gadsden, Vivian Lynette)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2026 15:49:52 +0000
From: "Gadsden, Vivian Lynette" <viviang at upenn.edu>
To: Kris D Gutierrez <gutierrkd at berkeley.edu>, Colin Harrison
        <colin.harrison at nottingham.ac.uk>
Cc: reading hall of fame <reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Reading-hall-of-fame] Message from P David
Message-ID:
        <CH0PR10MB50669F5EC1106A93A14DA5B6A8A92 at CH0PR10MB5066.namprd10.prod.outlook.com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Kris?

Thank you for letting us know.  A fine colleague and person and an extraordinary leader in our field.

Vivian





Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
________________________________
From: Reading-hall-of-fame <reading-hall-of-fame-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk> on behalf of Kris D Gutierrez <gutierrkd at berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2026 9:50 PM
To: Colin Harrison <colin.harrison at nottingham.ac.uk>
Cc: reading hall of fame <reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Reading-hall-of-fame] Message from P David

Colleagues,

Our esteemed colleague, mentor and beloved friend, David Pearson, passed away this morning after battling cancer.  More details to follow.

Many of us, indeed the field, are so indebted to David for his transformational work and leadership in reading.   And many of us will have many stories to share about how he made our lives and scholarship so much better.  His work was always oriented toward social good and his openness and generosity made him an invaluable colleague, dean, and friend.  I am so proud that he was a mentor since I was an undergraduate.   Here's to you, David.

Kris


Kris D. Guti?rrez
Distinguished Professor & Carol Liu Chair
Berkeley School of Education
University of California, Berkeley
2121 Berkeley Way
Berkeley, Ca 94720-1670
gutierrkd at berkeley.edu<mailto:gutierrkd at berkeley.edu>
Member, National Academy of Education
Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Fellow, British Academy
Fellow, ISLS and AERA

On Tue, Jan 13, 2026 at 12:18?AM Colin Harrison <colin.harrison at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:colin.harrison at nottingham.ac.uk>> wrote:
Hi everyone

David has asked me to post this:


Family, Friends, Neighbors, and Colleagues


Here's the latest update on my plan to share updates about my cancer.


I am keeping a journal that I?d like to share with folks who want to follow my progress in dealing with muscle-invasive bladder cancer. I will post the journal on a website that anyone who has the link can go back to at any time to check on the latest developments. The link will stay the same, but the journal will grow as I add entries. It will chronicle the development, treatment, and sense I am making of this encounter with bladder cancer.


The primary audience for the journal is me. I want to document the experience as a way of confronting and understanding it.  The secondary audience is the collection of family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues who might like to be kept abreast of the journey.  I have no desire to impose these updates on those who have no desire to receive them. And I am hoping this approach will minimize their email burden.


Two ways to participate:

  1.  If you click this link<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WExiReaEeym98Fx4AmITmx-wPgXM1fmw1Fqp68Z6vxY/edit?tab=t.0*heading=h.ywsqwxsn37m8__;Iw!!IBzWLUs!SircrWecwWAjyazXIBsj5syKL38Vf9wNapRI6bjj5fSp321Rz1Yiv2evZftyMSOPz__fjiBZkzTcdirZw6d8Zr5M$>, it will take you directly to ?pdavidpearson?s Bladder Cancer Journal.?  You can bookmark and return to that link at any time to find the most recent version of the Journal, with new additions added regularly.
  2.  Additionally, if you give me your permission, by responding with an affirmative email to ppearson at berkeley.edu<mailto:ppearson at berkeley.edu>, I?ll add you to a list of folks to whom I will send a simple reminder when I have added newsworthy developments or reflections. Just tell me that you would like to be added to the notification list.

The Journal can be read by any person who has email, a web browser, and the link.  You won't need a special word processing app or a google account or even Adobe reader.


If you got this far, thanks for reading. Hope you sign on to the journey.


David





_______________________________________________
Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list
Reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:Reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame__;!!IBzWLUs!SircrWecwWAjyazXIBsj5syKL38Vf9wNapRI6bjj5fSp321Rz1Yiv2evZftyMSOPz__fjiBZkzTcdirZw6rcQv3d$>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/pipermail/reading-hall-of-fame/attachments/20260831/ce36b1e0/attachment.htm>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list
Reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame


------------------------------

End of Reading-hall-of-fame Digest, Vol 207, Issue 2
****************************************************
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/pipermail/reading-hall-of-fame/attachments/20260831/ecfabebf/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list