<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<style type="text/css" style="display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir="ltr">
<div class="elementToProof" style="font-family: Aptos, Aptos_EmbeddedFont, Aptos_MSFontService, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
David's passing is a huge loss for those of us who care about literacy. He was tireless in his efforts to promote reading and those who studied it. I did not get to know him personally until the last 7 or 8 years, but he is someone you never forget once you
 met him. I can only imagine how many lives he touched and how many will be saddened by his [assing.</div>
<div class="elementToProof" style="font-family: Aptos, Aptos_EmbeddedFont, Aptos_MSFontService, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div class="elementToProof" style="font-family: Aptos, Aptos_EmbeddedFont, Aptos_MSFontService, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Steve Graham</div>
<div id="appendonsend"></div>
<hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex="-1">
<div id="divRplyFwdMsg" dir="ltr"><font face="Calibri, sans-serif" style="font-size:11pt" color="#000000"><b>From:</b> Reading-hall-of-fame <reading-hall-of-fame-bounces@lists.nottingham.ac.uk> on behalf of reading-hall-of-fame-request@lists.nottingham.ac.uk
 <reading-hall-of-fame-request@lists.nottingham.ac.uk><br>
<b>Sent:</b> Monday, August 31, 2026 8:50 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk <reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Reading-hall-of-fame Digest, Vol 207, Issue 2</font>
<div> </div>
</div>
<div class="BodyFragment"><font size="2"><span style="font-size:11pt;">
<div class="PlainText">Send Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list submissions to<br>
        reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk<br>
<br>
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit<br>
        <a href="https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame">
https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame</a><br>
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to<br>
        reading-hall-of-fame-request@lists.nottingham.ac.uk<br>
<br>
You can reach the person managing the list at<br>
        reading-hall-of-fame-owner@lists.nottingham.ac.uk<br>
<br>
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific<br>
than "Re: Contents of Reading-hall-of-fame digest..."<br>
<br>
<br>
Today's Topics:<br>
<br>
   1. Re: Message from P David (Gadsden, Vivian Lynette)<br>
<br>
<br>
----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
<br>
Message: 1<br>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2026 15:49:52 +0000<br>
From: "Gadsden, Vivian Lynette" <viviang@upenn.edu><br>
To: Kris D Gutierrez <gutierrkd@berkeley.edu>, Colin Harrison<br>
        <colin.harrison@nottingham.ac.uk><br>
Cc: reading hall of fame <reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk><br>
Subject: Re: [Reading-hall-of-fame] Message from P David<br>
Message-ID:<br>
        <CH0PR10MB50669F5EC1106A93A14DA5B6A8A92@CH0PR10MB5066.namprd10.prod.outlook.com><br>
        <br>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"<br>
<br>
Kris?<br>
<br>
Thank you for letting us know.  A fine colleague and person and an extraordinary leader in our field.<br>
<br>
Vivian<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Get Outlook for iOS<<a href="https://aka.ms/o0ukef">https://aka.ms/o0ukef</a>><br>
________________________________<br>
From: Reading-hall-of-fame <reading-hall-of-fame-bounces@lists.nottingham.ac.uk> on behalf of Kris D Gutierrez <gutierrkd@berkeley.edu><br>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2026 9:50 PM<br>
To: Colin Harrison <colin.harrison@nottingham.ac.uk><br>
Cc: reading hall of fame <reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk><br>
Subject: Re: [Reading-hall-of-fame] Message from P David<br>
<br>
Colleagues,<br>
<br>
Our esteemed colleague, mentor and beloved friend, David Pearson, passed away this morning after battling cancer.  More details to follow.<br>
<br>
Many of us, indeed the field, are so indebted to David for his transformational work and leadership in reading.   And many of us will have many stories to share about how he made our lives and scholarship so much better.  His work was always oriented toward
 social good and his openness and generosity made him an invaluable colleague, dean, and friend.  I am so proud that he was a mentor since I was an undergraduate.   Here's to you, David.<br>
<br>
Kris<br>
<br>
<br>
Kris D. Guti?rrez<br>
Distinguished Professor & Carol Liu Chair<br>
Berkeley School of Education<br>
University of California, Berkeley<br>
2121 Berkeley Way<br>
Berkeley, Ca 94720-1670<br>
gutierrkd@berkeley.edu<mailto:gutierrkd@berkeley.edu><br>
Member, National Academy of Education<br>
Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences<br>
Fellow, British Academy<br>
Fellow, ISLS and AERA<br>
<br>
On Tue, Jan 13, 2026 at 12:18?AM Colin Harrison <colin.harrison@nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:colin.harrison@nottingham.ac.uk>> wrote:<br>
Hi everyone<br>
<br>
David has asked me to post this:<br>
<br>
<br>
Family, Friends, Neighbors, and Colleagues<br>
<br>
<br>
Here's the latest update on my plan to share updates about my cancer.<br>
<br>
<br>
I am keeping a journal that I?d like to share with folks who want to follow my progress in dealing with muscle-invasive bladder cancer. I will post the journal on a website that anyone who has the link can go back to at any time to check on the latest developments.
 The link will stay the same, but the journal will grow as I add entries. It will chronicle the development, treatment, and sense I am making of this encounter with bladder cancer.<br>
<br>
<br>
The primary audience for the journal is me. I want to document the experience as a way of confronting and understanding it.  The secondary audience is the collection of family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues who might like to be kept abreast of the journey. 
 I have no desire to impose these updates on those who have no desire to receive them. And I am hoping this approach will minimize their email burden.<br>
<br>
<br>
Two ways to participate:<br>
<br>
  1.  If you click this link<<a href="https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WExiReaEeym98Fx4AmITmx-wPgXM1fmw1Fqp68Z6vxY/edit?tab=t.0*heading=h.ywsqwxsn37m8__;Iw!!IBzWLUs!SircrWecwWAjyazXIBsj5syKL38Vf9wNapRI6bjj5fSp321Rz1Yiv2evZftyMSOPz__fjiBZkzTcdirZw6d8Zr5M$">https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WExiReaEeym98Fx4AmITmx-wPgXM1fmw1Fqp68Z6vxY/edit?tab=t.0*heading=h.ywsqwxsn37m8__;Iw!!IBzWLUs!SircrWecwWAjyazXIBsj5syKL38Vf9wNapRI6bjj5fSp321Rz1Yiv2evZftyMSOPz__fjiBZkzTcdirZw6d8Zr5M$</a>>,
 it will take you directly to ?pdavidpearson?s Bladder Cancer Journal.?  You can bookmark and return to that link at any time to find the most recent version of the Journal, with new additions added regularly.<br>
  2.  Additionally, if you give me your permission, by responding with an affirmative email to ppearson@berkeley.edu<mailto:ppearson@berkeley.edu>, I?ll add you to a list of folks to whom I will send a simple reminder when I have added newsworthy developments
 or reflections. Just tell me that you would like to be added to the notification list.<br>
<br>
The Journal can be read by any person who has email, a web browser, and the link.  You won't need a special word processing app or a google account or even Adobe reader.<br>
<br>
<br>
If you got this far, thanks for reading. Hope you sign on to the journey.<br>
<br>
<br>
David<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list<br>
Reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:Reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk><br>
<a href="https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame__;!!IBzWLUs!SircrWecwWAjyazXIBsj5syKL38Vf9wNapRI6bjj5fSp321Rz1Yiv2evZftyMSOPz__fjiBZkzTcdirZw6rcQv3d$>">https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame__;!!IBzWLUs!SircrWecwWAjyazXIBsj5syKL38Vf9wNapRI6bjj5fSp321Rz1Yiv2evZftyMSOPz__fjiBZkzTcdirZw6rcQv3d$></a><br>
-------------- next part --------------<br>
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>
URL: <<a href="http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/pipermail/reading-hall-of-fame/attachments/20260831/ce36b1e0/attachment.htm">http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/pipermail/reading-hall-of-fame/attachments/20260831/ce36b1e0/attachment.htm</a>><br>
<br>
------------------------------<br>
<br>
Subject: Digest Footer<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list<br>
Reading-hall-of-fame@lists.nottingham.ac.uk<br>
<a href="https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame">https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame</a><br>
<br>
<br>
------------------------------<br>
<br>
End of Reading-hall-of-fame Digest, Vol 207, Issue 2<br>
****************************************************<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>