[Xerte] Re: FAQ: upgrade and migrate from XOT 1.x to 2.x

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 12:03:42 BST 2014

Hi Fred

answers inline below.

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Fred Riley
Sent: 29 April 2014 10:50
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: [Xerte] Re: FAQ: upgrade and migrate from XOT 1.x to 2.x

Thanks for the reply, Ron. I've now read the fine manual, which is also
online (this PDF at Lodz
<http://cmf.p.lodz.pl/lab/documentation/guide_to_upgrading_an_existing_insta
llation.pdf> ), and is admirably detailed. From this, then, I take it that
there's no 'upgrade script' and that all steps have to be carried out
manually?

There is an upgrade script but that doesn't replace any directory files it
just updates and if necessary copies some settings in the database.

I'm guessing that all the users and LOs are stored in the database, so
there's no need to do anything to bring those forward to a new version?

Not quite. Usernames, project ID's and related details are stored in the
database but actual project files are stored in the USER-FILES directory. In
short to copy and upgrade an install you would need some or all of the
directories and a copy of the database.

Sorry, I'm writing from a position of ignorance as I've been a XOT user but
not an administrator until now. I'll get to playing with the admin side of
it very shortly, and will RTFM in detail :)

Fred

www.fredriley.org.uk