[Xerte] XOT Installation on same Web Server as Moodle

Terry Sullivan Terry.Sullivan at htptraining.com
Mon Mar 18 15:45:31 GMT 2013

Dear Xerte members,

I am a VLE Developer working for a Work Based Training Provider called
HTP Training and I should be grateful if you could answer a query I have
and offer any advice you think may be relevant.

We are currently running Moodle 2.4 and looking at using Xerte in the
future as part of our content development strategy.

Although we host our Moodle site in-house on our own server we employ a
third-party IT company to provide operational support for the hardware
and its operating system (Linux). They also handle installation of new
software and PC support.

We asked our IT company to install the "Xerte Online Toolkits" and they
replied with the following comments:-

"Xerte online tools uses many of the same processes and packages as
Moodle and I would worry installing it on the Moodle server, if say
Moodle needed a different level of apache, php, mysql or anything else
it could cause a problem with Xerte or vice versa. Also, looking at the
install instructions Xerte wants XAMPP installing over the top of Linux,
this would likely also break Moodle. This will need another web server
by the looks of it."

We don't have the technical knowledge to evaluate this response and it
would be extremely helpful to me if someone could confirm whether there
is indeed a potential conflict if Xerte and Moodle share the same web
server thus requiring a separate server and whether you can offer any
advice on handling this situation.

Many thanks for your help.

Terry Sullivan