[Xerte] MYSQL access denied error

James Burns JBurns at KirkleesCollege.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 16:38:58 BST 2012

Hello,

I am in the process of trying to implement the Xerte Toolkit in our College, but I am experiencing a specific issue.

I have installed the Toolkit (seemingly successfully) to a LAMP server, following instructions in the Toolkits Guide. However, I keep getting the same error when trying to access the PHP pages which come with Xerte ( I can run phpinfo.php ok) , see below :-

I have been through the suggestions in this documentation section about "access denied" errors in MYSQL :-

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/access-denied.html

However, I still get same error all the time (after several installations tried). I there anyone who could offer some further suggestions? There may be something I have missed or not tried yet .......

I can authenticate to the MYSQL database directly remotely fine using a Windows MYSQL client on my PC (with same credentials) and I can authenticate to MYSQL directly ok with same credentials locally on the server itself. I have checked user and host permissions in MYSQL and they seem fine for remote access from any host for this mysql user. However,  when going through Apache and PHP route I get same error every time ....

When looking at database.php, the username/password are showing correctly...

LAMP Server :-

PHP 5.3.2
MYSQL 5.1.61
Apache 2.2.14

Could you provide any suggestions that could enable us to move past this issue and properly implement Xerte Toolkit in our College?

Regards

James Burns
Server Administrator

This email and any attachments are confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer. You are not authorised to, and must not, read, copy, distribute, use or retain this message or any part of it. Kirklees College cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Kirklees College or one of its agents.
KIRKLEES COLLEGE - YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR FOCUS
See our website! http://www.kirkleescollege.ac.uk

Please consider the environment. Don't print this e-mail unless necessary.