[Xerte] Re: Problem Getting Started with Page Wizards - for attention of JK

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 2 10:34:18 GMT 2011

OK Deborah,

It's interesting when you write a set of instructions that some times the
message you seek to convey is not always the one that is received :-)

Let me take you through using a page wizard and hopefully explain at the
same time why things are not currently working out for you.

1. Installing the page wizards - I am not sure from the picture you have
enclosed that they have been installed in the correct place, so let's just
check. After you unzip the page wizard download you need to place the page
wizard folders in the wizard folder of your xerte installation, usually this
is c:\program files\xerte\wizards\

so in this folder you would have new folders a) Text, b) Media etc.

You can check if the wizards are installed correctly by opening Xerte and
then pointing at the Templates menu. If the wizards are installed correctly
you should see the folders listed in the drop down menu.

2. Using the page wizards - first use Windows Explorer or My Computer to
create a folder for your new project. Then in that folder create a folder
called "Pages".

Now open xerte and create a new project by using Project / New, create the
project in the project folder you just created.

To create a page using a Page Wizard select the project's interface icon.
With the projects interface icon as the current icon click on the Templates
menu, point at one of the page wizard menus and then click on one of the
page wizards. When the Browse for computer dialogue opens scroll down to
your project folder (it should be highlighted), expand the folder and click
on the Pages folder. Now with the pages folder selected click on the "Create
new folder" button. Create a folder with a name relevant to the page you are
creating e.g. TitlePage - then click OK.

You can open the wizard when prompted, personally I don't as I like to
change the name and add a title before I open the wizard by Double clicking
on the page icon.

The reason your wizard does not open is that the templateData path is
incorrect. This value should be set by xerte automatically when you follow
the above procedure and you should never need to change it.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Johnathan

This should create the folder