[Xerte] Questions about Using Toolkits for larger User-baseDeployments

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 09:41:17 GMT 2009

Hi,

We have 35,000 potential users on our network, and maybe a few hundred
of those actively producing materials. We've not really experienced any
problem with scalability - but we have the infrastructure to cope with
it. I don't think this is a limitation of the software itself, more the
infrastructure you have to run it on. So if you have a large cluster of
servers and loads of bandwidth, things will perform better than if you
run it on a localhost from a desktop machine under someone's desk...

Pat can better answer the security question - do you have any specific
concerns?

Collaboration is all built in to the tools so authors can share a
learning object with other users, and then both people can make edits to
it. The piece is locked from other editors whilst someone has it open.
This is a feature (a powerful one) of the software so you don't need to
worry about doing anything special.

You'll need to look at the authentication stuff yourself, but I know
others here are developing some knowledge about how best to do this, and
can answer more specific questions.