[Xerte] Moodle authentication integration

RonM ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Wed Jun 3 12:53:17 BST 2009

Hi all

I've been exchanging some emails off-list with Julian and Pat and agreed to
post a link and info to an 'unofficial' patch which enables integration
between toolkits and moodle in terms of authentication. The plan was to put
this on the wiki but I couldn't decide where so for now I've included a link
to a zip on my own server and will update that at some point if we put the
info and zip on the wiki. Also I'm sure there will be improvements to this
by the time version 1.5 is released but for now this works as far as I can
tell. Of course the usual disclaimers apply - use at your own risk - no
responsibility accepted etc etc and be sure to read and follow the
instruction carefully. However there are very few changes to existing 1.0.2
code (4 files + 1 new file) and no changes to the database. All of this is
documented in the readme file contained in the zip.

If you test/use this please post feedback to this list if only to confirm
that it works for you. Also of course report any bugs you may find.

So for now you can download the zip containing the 4 tweaked files from
http://mitchellmedia.co.uk/xerte/xerte_1.0.2_moodlepatch.zip

HTH

Regards

Ron

Further info from the readme file:

This patch has been tested on a number of different moodle/xerte
installations, (including maxos) and on the tested installations at least
has enabled authentication integration with the moodle installation on the
same server. Specifically it enables integration with the moodle
authentication system allowing seamless login from moodle to toolkits. This
is achieved by using the moodle session data so at the moment this will not
work if moodle and toolkits are installed on separate servers.

How this works

Once applied and configured this patch works in the following ways:

1. A user logs in to moodle and then follows a link from that moodle to an
installation of toolkits on the same server. The user is automatically
logged in to their own workspace in toolkits seeing any previous LO's they
have created. If this is their first visit to the toolkits installation
their firstname, lastname and username are added to the xerte toolkits
database. (This then also allows other users to share learning objects with
the new toolkits user via properties > shared settings or to give learning
objects via properties > give this project ) This also means that any
existing moodle user, or new users registering on moodle, also has access to
the linked toolkits installation.

2. A user visits the toolkits installation without first logging in to
moodle. They are automatically redirected to login to moodle.

If the toolkits installation is installed as a subdirectory of the moodle
directory the user is then automatically redirected back to their own
workspace in toolkits.

If the toolkits installation is installed in a separate directory to the
moodle directory the user will not be automatically directed back to
toolkits but can follow a link to toolkits from the moodle installation or
revisit the toolkits url with the same browser to be automatically logged
in.