[Xerte-dev] Moving the moodle restriction code?

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 11:29:04 GMT 2015

Hi all

I was made aware of a slight issue with the Moodle authentication recently
and have investigated further and confirmed that in certain scenarios there
is an issue but I think an easy enough fix.

In auth_config.php we have some uncommented and commented code specific to
moodle authentication. First we have an uncommented/active section of code
where it checks if the authentication method set is Moodle and if so then
checks if the logged in username is guest and if it is displays a you don't
have permissions message to prevent guest users from authoring with xerte.
We've had this for a long time and it mostly works ok but if the moodle
allows guest login to courses that contain links to public xerte LO's this
code also prevents access to those LO's not just to the workspace. If
someone visits the public links without first logging in to Moodle as guest
then it works fine. I think this has been the case for quite a while now but
isn't often picked up as an issue because it's only an issue in this
specific scenario. I also think it only became an issue when the
authentication code was moved in a much earlier version.

I've tested the following but wanted to check your thoughts before making
the changes and committing..

1. Move the uncommented //restrict moodle guest access code and the
commented //restrict moodle access via custom moodle profile field named xot
code to a new file names moodle_restrictions.php

2. add a require to that file around  line 46 of index.php just under
login_processing2();

3. Update moodle_integration_readme.txt accordingly

This change means that the code still works and prevents access to the
authoring workspace but doesn't prevent access to public LO's even if logged
in to moodle as guest.

Ok for me to make and commit these changes?

Or is there a different/better way to achieve this?