[Xerte-dev] GitHub and Workflows

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 14:39:52 BST 2013

Hi,

I think we've got the SVN migrated over to Git Hub with all the history, branches etc, which is great. We need to have some discussion about workflow, and I want to suggest gitflow as a good workflow to adopt. Information can be found here http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ and elsewhere (here: https://www.atlassian.com/git/workflows for example).

I like it for several reasons:

-          The 'master' branch is always production quality released code

-          Small developments (trivial) can be undertaken directly in 'develop'

-          Larger developments can be undertaken in braches taken from 'develop', and then merged back into develop once complete...

-          ...testing of develop can then be undertaken before we make a new release number.

See the information for more details. Does this seem sensible and agreeable to everyone?

There are two other things I'd like us to work towards, again subject to some discussion between us:

Using Tickets for Issues and New Features:

-          Using some ticketing system to record bugs to be fixed, new features to be developed, because we keep losing these;

-          Using those tickets as a way of grouping work into sprints towards a new release;

-          Could be trac, could be github, open to suggestions;

A better means of testing the software rather than the hit and hope method we currently employ:

-          Open to suggestions here?

-          Probably starts with a list of manual tests to work through?

-          Possibly includes automation (Selenium?)

-          UnitTesting probably a very long term goal, might not even be possible?

So my vision would be that we log tickets, we use that list of tickets as a big to-do list; we create a smaller current to-do list from it for the next release; we do the development a la gitflow; changes get pushed to develop and tested; new version released. It sounds good in theory at any rate, it will require a bit more discipline amongst us, but I think the benefits are worth it. I'd very much appreciate your views...

Thanks,

Julian