[Xerte-dev] HTML5 Media PLayers

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 17 10:16:07 BST 2012

Pat, what was the problem you found with  MediaElement.js?

Fay has used the JWPlayer up till now to cope with all the HTML5 media stuff. We need to use something. JWPlayer is CC-NC, which is a rubbish license for us: we can't really re-distribute it in a way that makes the licensing clear to end users, I'd rather find a GPL media player that we can clearly redistribute; open source is even better.

The folks at JWP seem to think that a tuition-fee'd university doesn't count as non-commercial, which is a bit of a showstopper because it means we can't clearly say to people 'Yep. You can definitely use it'. I've been in contact with JW folks for nearly a week, and I still don't know the answer.