[Xerte-dev] Re: XoT 1.8 Install today for Suffolk Learning Consortium

Pat Lockley patrick.lockley at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 22:55:11 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Thomas Rochford <
thomas.rochford at jiscadvance.ac.uk> wrote:

> Good Evening everyone,****
>
> ** **
>
> I did my first installation of 1.8 (v.393 from the SVN), there were three
> or four issues as follows:****
>
> ** **
>
> **1)      **Database.txt****
>
> There were problems with the initial installation because SLC are using a
> hosted service and the MySQL server is different from the XoT/Web Server
> (IIS). I took a while to register this fact but Database.txt does not
> appear to update itself dynamically and I needed to edit it manually in
> order to get it to recognise the MySQL Server. The XoT server appeared to
> have hard coded itself into the file. After this had been done the
> installation appeared to proceed smoothly

http://code.google.com/p/xerteonlinetoolkits/source/browse/trunk/setup/database.txt
sets
to whatever you tell it to, if you change server you need to edit it
manually.

> ****
>
> **2)      **SAVO are planning to launch the service using the inbuilt
> table of users in the XoT database. At first I could not see this and only
> realised it was there when it refused to allow me to create it. Logging out
> and logging back in again appeared to show it, so I’m assuming that was a
> local caching issue. However when I came to look at  the table the fields
> did not appear to have been created properly as there was no provision for
> an encrypted password field using SHA1 or MD5, it only offered VARCHAR. I
> managed to correct this by doing a manual SQL insert to create a new user
> and using the SHA1(‘password’) in the command. I also changed the collation
> from ‘Latin-Swedish-ci’ to ‘UTF8-general-ci’. I’m not sure why it had
> defaulted to Swedish. This worked, of course, but I’m not sure if it would
> be easy for everyone.

All the tables are latin-swedish - that was the first option in the list
when i made the database so i assumed it was the best default setting. UTF
might make more sense, I don't know enough to say really.

Not having salted passwords seems a bit odd though?

> ****
>
> **3)      **Now having got the table set up, I’m not sure how to set the
> SALT as apparently required. It occurs to me that the intention was that
> the passwords should be encrypted locally for enhanced security and the
> encrypted data inserted into the regular varchar(50) field. However I
> couldn’t find anything in the supplied code to do this. Is this something
> which still has to be done, or did I miss something?****
>
> **4)      **Now having created a coupled of users, it seems that the
> login page is no longer displayed. Instead anyone going to the server is
> logged into the Guest account. I am reluctant to delete the existing Guest
> account, however, until I’m sure that the encryption will use the correct
> SALT as required in db.php, otherwise it will not be possible to use the
> installation at all. I’ve tried changing the username for the Guest account
> rather than deleting it, but that doesn’t seem to make any difference
> either. I would very much appreciate some help with this as I am due to do
> another installation on Monday in Peterborough and I think they are
> planning to use local authentication as well. Moodle authentication is
> another possibility and if there are some guidelines on how to do this, I
> would be very pleased to have them rather than doing it by trial and error.
> SAVO are running Moodle 2.2.1+ on the same server so it would work for them
> and probably for City College Peterborough as well.****
>
> **5)      **Not really an issue but I could not find any trace of the
> webctlink.php that the installation advises you to remove. Any advice on
> where this is would also be greatly appreciated.

in the root folder - we removed it last week