[Syrphidae] Re: males & pollen

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 18 09:05:52 GMT 2021

and here's a translation into english

From: w.v.steenis at casema.nl [mailto:w.v.steenis at casema.nl]
Sent: 17 January 2021 19:11
To: Francis Gilbert <plzfg at exmail.nottingham.ac.uk>; bioveyda at gmail.com
Cc: 'Peter Kevan' <pkevan at uoguelph.ca>; 'Hoverfly discussion list' <syrphidae at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: [Syrphidae] males & pollen

Dear all,

In the Zweefvliegennieuwsbrief 1 2005 Wilfried H.O. Ernst published (in Dutch) results of a short research on pollen in the gut of male Syrphus ribesii over the season. He did estimate the nutrient content of the pollen in the guts. He did not discuss the reason the males need pollen. However, it might be interesting to read since there is so little published on pollen in Syrphidae guts.

Best wishes,

Wouter