[Syrphidae] Re: Sympatry in Sphaerophoria

Roger Morris syrphid58 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 09:54:39 BST 2020

I am not surprised by the numbers of species found together - the
ecological separation may be both the prey item and also the
micro-climate. It is worth bearing in mind that despite the ideas of
phytosociology linking invertebrates to a defined plant assemblage is
problematic. My feeling is that within the UK fauna there is an
assemblage that is essentaily associated with acidic (and ericaceous)
conditions in which the habitat has both wet and dry zones and is
fringed by acid grassland with large numbers of yellow composites.

I have found as many as five species (S. batava, S. philantha, S.
virgata, S. fatarum and S. scripta)  on the same heathland sites in SE
England but of those two are abundant in the north and west (S.
philantha and S. fatarum), whilst one is highly localised (S. virgata)
and one is primarily northern (S. fatarum). What I do wonder about is
the future status of these species in SE England with increasing climate
impacts.

Regards

Roger