[Syrphidae] FW: FW: Re: FW: Syrphidae alert

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 11 09:25:47 BST 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Morris [mailto:syrphid58 at gmail.com]
Sent: 11 June 2020 09:24
To: Francis Gilbert <plzfg at exmail.nottingham.ac.uk>; Stuart Ball <stuart.ball54 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Syrphidae] FW: Re: FW: Syrphidae alert

Hi Francis

I'm not sure if I responded directly that this would circulate relevant
people, so perhaps you can circulate as you just have with Bastian's
comments. I have the following thoughts:

1. We have some evidence that the numbers of hoverflies present do drop
during periods of extreme heat and drought - there is a basic analysis
in Dipterists Digest but it must be accompanied by suitable caveats -
the data used are not structured and making parallels with aggregations
of previous years' data makes some assumptions that can be challenged.
Nevertheless, with data collected in a similar manner over a sequence of
years it may be possible to detect basic patterns but probably not
conclusive evidence.

2. For all effects we must consider that there are two or more variables
that may be responsible for localised differences in perceived
abundance. Firstly, a drop in abundance may be a response to a previous
season rather than the season under observation. We have some evidence
that incremental impact of climate change may affect subsequent
generations using Rhingia campestris, and we did try to publis a paper
on Leucozona glaucia that got comprehensively trashed by reviewers
(criticisms included that the reason for decline was simply agricultural
impacts and pesticide use - wrong but difficult to counter without a
long wrangle and no point when the paper has been rejected).

3. To stand any chance of a realistic analysis one needs an awful lot of
records! The HRS now generates about 60-70k records a year, but for most
species the absolute numbers are low because the data are always
dominated by the obvious, charismatic and readily identified species.
Thus, once one starts to look at individual species within more
challenging taxa such as Pipiza, Cheilosia and Eumerus, the volumes of
data are very limited and do not stand up well to detailed scrutiny. I
would not consider modelling these genera because the data are far too
weak and unreliable. So, the best one might do is to think about
different guilds - how do stem feeders, root feeders, saproxylic root
feeders, rot hole feeders etc fare as a guild? I suspect that if the HRS
lacks adequate data then the same will obtain across Europe and may be
even more restricted in many places.

4. Making links to actual weather patterns is often problematic too. We
see a regular pattern in our data with vastly more records emerging at
weekends. BUT there are supplementary patterns that seem to reflect
separate weather events - a High or Low pressure system can be detected
in the gross number of records, and after a particular hot or cold
episode the following days can be very weak for records. So, it is
likely that existing generations are suppressed and new waves reflect
the emergence of new generations.

5. We know precious little about differentials in phenology across
Europe. What Stuart and I have found in the UK is that there are strong
regional differences across both lonitude and latitude. I suspect that
with enough data we might be able to develop a regional picture for
Europe for a few distinctive and responsive species. The species I would
use is Epistrophe eligans, which is suitable because it is both abundant
and easily identified, as well as being very widespread. Maybe a dataset
could be assembled to create the equivalent of a seasonal 'pressure map'
for Europe. However, there is a need for a huge volume of data and we
know that this species' phenology has changed massively in the past 40
years.

So, my feeling is that making any link between this spring and perceived
abundance of hoverflies is unlikely to be possible with current levels
of recording effort. I think there is a small chance of picking up
signals from some big extremes in the future providing data are
collected with this in mind. There is obviously potential for setting up
a collaborative project to look at such matters on a European scale, but
looking at GBIF I think that there is such massive variation in
recording activity that many of the signals will be lost in the
graininess of the data. A run of several years of effort would be
needed. For the last couple of years I have pushed my efforts onto
detailed daily recording, but even that is scuppered because I have
nipped up to Scotland in June and of course my data then come from a
completely different geographic zone, making them quite unsuitable for
analysis.

Hope thios provides some food for thought

Roger