[Syrphidae] Re: Sex identification based on abdomen coloration

Wouter van Steenis w.v.steenis at casema.nl
Wed Feb 10 14:19:41 GMT 2016

Dear Malin and others,

For Eristalis arbustorum I’m quite convinced that it is by far more easy to distinguish males and females in the field than to distinguish between females of Eristalis arbustorum, E. abusiva (in Europe) and E. brousii (in North-America) and between males of these species. It is not only the color distribution, but also the brightness of the orange spots. And males tend to have more hairy bodies. However, there is a rather small proportion of really dark males and really light females that do overlap in coloration.
So in my opinion anyone who claims to have recognised one of these species in the field should for sure be able to say what sex it was.

In E. tenax it is quite difficult due to huge variation in coloration. The males being much more orange, the females being much more black, but with a very extensive overlap. The form of the abdomen might be a bit more helpful, but I only sex them based on the separation of the eyes.

In E. intricarius (hair coloration) and E. pertinax (form of abdomen) it is quite easy to separate almost all specimens.

best wishes,

Wouter