[Syrphidae] Re: Sex identification based on abdomen coloration

Steven Falk steven at sfalk.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 11:22:07 GMT 2016

Hi Malin

Females of both these species are generally darker,but there is considerable
variation in both sexes and all-dark specimens exist in both sexes. But the
shape and width of frons is most reliable, and in arbustorum, even a pale
female looks very different to a plane male i.e. the patterns are different.
But just using 'brightness' alone is not relaibale. For more info, see my
Flickr feature:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N07/collections/72157629778653197/

You also need to account for the other Ersitalis species that fly alongside
tenax and arbustorum.

Good luck,

Steven

Steven Falk BSc ARCS FRES