[Syrphidae] Re: Fluorescent dyes

Cyrille DUSSAIX cyrille.dussaix at orange.fr
Mon May 25 13:17:18 BST 2015

Hi,

/"It's presumed that syrphid larvae are largely sedentary, but there is
some ambiguity present in the literature on this subject.//"

/Observation of a short migration : change of environments of F.cuprea
:  a sap run to the ground for puparium.

For this study only zoophagous ? or other cases herbivorous or
microphagous ?

For the first case, larvae overwinter in the litter (sedentary ?).

No opinion on the fluorescent dyes :-[
But reproduce in the laboratory the natural environment would be more
informative ( without predation, parasitism ...).

Regards.

PS: sorry for my bad English writing ...

Le 18/05/2015 17:36, ximo mengual sanchis a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I do have a question for you all. Bashira Chowdhury, a student, asked
> me the following:
>

>     Hi Dr. Mengual,
>
>     I had a quick question on syrphid larvae. It's presumed that
>     syrphid larvae are largely sedentary, but there is some ambiguity
>     present in the literature on this subject. As a part of my work
>     this summer, I thought I could use fluorescent dyes to mark
>     syrphid larvae and track their movements through flower patches.
>     Do you think that the dyes could harm their development? Also
>     would this make them more susceptible to predation?
>
>     Fluorescent dyes typically don't affect adult insects, but I
>     wasn't sure about larval insects.
>
>     Bashira
>

>  Does any of you have ever used dyes with larvae? Any idea? You can cc
> Bashira (bashira at uw.edu <mailto:bashira at uw.edu>) with your answers.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ximo

> Dr. Ximo Mengual
> Head of the Diptera Section
> Stiftung Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig
> Leibniz-Institut für Biodiversität der Tiere
> Adenauerallee 160
> D-53113  Bonn, Germany
> Phone: 0049 (0)228 9122 292
> ZFMK web <https://www.zfmk.de/en/zfmk/ximo-mengual>
> <http://entomology.si.edu/StaffPages/MengualJ.html>
> https://www.bolgermany.de/ | http://syrphidae.lifedesks.org/

> University of Nottingham.

> permitted by UK legislation.

Signature

INSECTA DIPTERA SYRPHIDAE D’EUROPE :
http://perso.orange.fr/cyrille.dussaix/
<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyrille.dussaix/>

Un travail collaboratif de plus de 70 personnes d'Europe.

*Diptera-Syrphidae *: Liste de discussion. Me contacter. SVP.

*Index bibliographique de la faune sarthoise*:
http://perso.orange.fr/cyrille.dussaix/Biblio-Faune-72.htm
<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyrille.dussaix/Biblio-Faune-72.htm>