[Syrphidae] Fluorescent dyes

ximo mengual sanchis xmengual at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:36:49 BST 2015

Dear all,

I do have a question for you all. Bashira Chowdhury, a student, asked me
the following:

Hi Dr. Mengual,

> I had a quick question on syrphid larvae. It's presumed that syrphid
> larvae are largely sedentary, but there is some ambiguity present in the
> literature on this subject. As a part of my work this summer, I thought I
> could use fluorescent dyes to mark syrphid larvae and track their movements
> through flower patches. Do you think that the dyes could harm their
> development? Also would this make them more susceptible to predation?
>

> Fluorescent dyes typically don't affect adult insects, but I wasn't sure
> about larval insects.
>

> Bashira

 Does any of you have ever used dyes with larvae? Any idea? You can cc
Bashira (bashira at uw.edu) with your answers.

Thanks!

Ximo

Dr. Ximo Mengual
Head of the Diptera Section
Stiftung Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig
Leibniz-Institut für Biodiversität der Tiere
Adenauerallee 160
D-53113  Bonn, Germany
Phone: 0049 (0)228 9122 292
ZFMK web <https://www.zfmk.de/en/zfmk/ximo-mengual>